7.04.2009

Top 10

Top 10 Things I have taken for granted about America

I realized lately there are things - big and small - that I take for granted.

10. Jumping in my car – and driving on the right side of the road – anywhere I want or need to go. At any point. And knowing exactly where I am and where I am heading.
9. Ordering a chicken sandwich and getting a chicken sandwich. Oh how I miss Chickfila!
8. Being able to read the signs: Yes, the internet is down for a month; yes this is in fact the men's bathroom, not the women's; No, we aren't opened and won't be until tomorrow - please don't stand around and wait.
7. Covered sewers and sidewalks. But oh is it fun to walk through everyone's waste.
6. Eating eggs, bacon, biscuits, french toast, waffles ... you know, common breakfast foods. Here it's rice, rice and more rice. Do you want it white, fried or sticky? At least there is some variety.
5. Walking out of my room and seeing my wonderful roommates (did I mention in person, not just on a computer screen via Skype) and then walking just two semi-circles to the right to see Marcus.
4. Air conditioning in restaurants, stores and rooms.
3. Being able to speak to someone and having them understand me clearly.
2. A pillow that does not feel like a 50-pound boulder under my head.
1. Toilet paper in public bathrooms.

But yet all of these things have made the past 4 weeks an experience I will never forget - and one I have enjoyed every single day! I am falling in love with the country and people, but definitely realizing more and more why I'm proud to be an American too.

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment